High loss to follow-up of children on antiretroviral treatment in a primary care HIV clinic in Johannesburg, South Africa

Chandiwana N, Sawry S, Chersich M, Kachingwe E, Makhathini B, Fairlie L

Outcomes of HIV-infected children have improved dramatically over the past decade, but are undermined by patient loss to follow-up (LTFU). We assessed patterns of LTFU among HIV-infected children receiving antiretroviral treatment (ART) at a large inner-city HIV clinic in Johannesburg, South Africa between 2005 and 2014. Demographic and clinical data were extracted from clinic records of children under 12 years. Differences between characteristics of children retained in care and LTFU were assessed using Wilcoxon rank sum tests or Pearson χ tests. Cox proportional hazard models then identified characteristics associated with LTFU.Of 135 children, the median age at ART initiation was 21.5 months (IQR: 6.3-47.7) with a median follow-up time of 3.3 years (IQR: 1.4-5.0). The incidence rate of LTFU was 10.8 per 100 person-years (95% CI: 8.2-14.4); cumulatively 36% of children were LTFU. Almost a third (n = 39) of children missed a clinic visit, but then returned to care; 77% of these were eventually LTFU. In total, 18% of children had elevated viral loads after 6 or more months of ART. Older age at ART initiation (18-59 months: aHR 1.6, 95% CI: 3.9-14.2) and ever missing a clinic visit (aHR 7.4 95% CI: 3.9-14.2) were independent predictors of LTFU. High rates of LTFU were observed in this primary care clinic. Risks for LTFU included older age (>18 months old) and missed clinic visits. Identifying children who miss scheduled visits and developing strategies directed at retaining them in care is critical to improving long-term pediatric HIV outcomes.

July 31, 2018
Year of publication
Resource types
Journal and research articles
loss to follow-up, children living with HIV, pediatric HIV outcomes

Similar Resources

Across sub-Saharan Africa, prevention of mother-to-child transmission services are encountering increasing numbers of women already established on antiretroviral therapy (ART) when entering antenatal care.

Many countries are working to reduce or eliminate mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) of HIV. Prevention efforts have been conceptualized as steps in a cascade but cascade completion rates during and after pregnancy are low.

This article is featured in the SHARE Research Digest. Click here to learn more.

Initiation of antiretroviral therapy (ART) following diagnosis of HIV infection at birth is an emerging area of paediatric HIV care. We present outcomes of HIV-infected infants identified at birth at Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The Partnership for HIV-Free Survival (PHFS) was designed to use basic quality improvement practices to reduce mother-to-child transmission of HIV and increase child survival through improvements in (1) antiretroviral therapy uptake and retention among HIV-positive pregnant women and mothers, (2)

Many adolescents living with HIV remain disconnected from care, especially in high-prevalence settings. Slow progressors-adolescents infected perinatally who survive without access to lifesaving treatment-remain unidentified and disconnected from heath systems, especially in high-prevalence…

Despite global reductions in AIDS-related deaths among adults, the rate for children increased by 50 percent. This increase points to inadequate testing, counselling, and treatment coverage and poor retention in services for these children.


The goal of virtual elimination of horizontal and mother-to-child HIV transmission in South Africa (SA) has been proposed, but there have been few systematic investigations of which interventions are likely to be most critical to reducing HIV incidence.

Achieving the promise of antiretroviral therapy (ART) to reduce HIV-associated mortality and transmission in sub-Saharan Africa relies on increasing behavioral change toward earlier engagement and sustained retention in HIV care after HIV diagnosis. Health communication may be an…