The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges. It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
Main purpose of the job
- To contribute to the formulation of the transgender HIV and health technical strategy in alignment with the overall program and organizational strategy and oversee and lead the technical direction relating to Adult ART and PreP delivery, infectious diseases and hormonal therapy at four transgender clinics.
- Parktown, Johannesburg
Key performance areas
- Develop a comprehensive technical strategy for transgender healthcare provision
- Provide visible leadership as an advocate for gender-affirming healthcare
- Lead the transgender healthcare team in a unified and integrated manner across four provinces
- Engage with transgender communities across four provinces to understand how best to deliver care for beneficiaries
- Ensure quality assurance for clinical services including Primary Health Care, Sexual and Reproductive Health Care, accessing hormonal interventions and HIV prevention and treatment
- Develop and monitor implementation of annual work plans, taking corrective action as necessary to ensure goals are met
- Develop annual budget and monitor expenditure
- Undertake donor reporting
- Lead capacity development interventions internally and with relevant stakeholder to improve quality and accessibility of transgender health services
- Contribute to the development/revision of policies at district, provincial and national levels
- Contribute to research agenda and development of grant proposals, protocols and ethics applications
- Extract evidence of good practice and lessons learnt
- Ensure appropriate communication/feedback of the research findings to the relevant stakeholders
- Produce publications and/or reports relating to the research and programme area
For more about this position and to apply, please open the PDF.