John Snow, Inc. (JSI) seeks a dynamic and highly experienced candidate for the Chief of Party (COP) position for the USAID-funded Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia. Zambia SAFE will work to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity ad transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration. The Zambia SAFE COP, who will have deep knowledge and experience running HIV care and treatment programs, will be a full-time position based in Lusaka, Zambia. S/he will serve as the primary technical and management officer, providing leadership and coordination in strategic planning, program development and management, and overseeing the implementation and evaluation of all activities supported by the Zambia SAFE Project. The COP will maintain excellent working relationships with such key stakeholders as development partners, civil society, and professional organizations as well as with key personnel from the Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Community Development (MCD), and USAID/Zambia. S/he will directly supervise the work of the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), the Director, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research, the Director, Finance and Operations, and the Director of Institutional Capacity Development and Policy Reform. The COP will report to the JSI home office Senior Advisor.
- Guide, encourage, and oversee all aspects of program management, both technical and financial;
- Oversee the development and implementation of a workplan that will achieve the project’s ambitious targets in HIV program targets;
- Oversee and coordinate JSI and partner staff;
- Serve as leader of the Senior Management Team;
- Provide strategic technical and programmatic leadership and guidance;
- Ensure compliance with USAID/PEPFAR and JSI rules and regulations;
- Provide technical oversight and support to program technical teams;
- Identify and integrate emerging global best practices and innovations into the project’s activities;
- Work closely with the DCOP to ensure the quality of the direct clinical services and technical assistance provided through SAFE;
- Serve as the project’s primary liaison with the MOH, MCD, USAID/Zambia, JSI headquarters, other donors, and multilateral and INGO partners;
- Monitor annual work plans and monitoring and evaluation plan to ensure that the project is meeting goals, and analyze and resolve reasons for any delays;
- Collaborate with other programs in Zambia;
- Ensure regular reporting to USAID/PEPFAR and timely submission of deliverables as required under the contract; and
- Encourage the conduct of innovative studies and activities as appropriate to complement project core activities and goals.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, social sciences or a related field or a medical degree;
- In-depth, global experience overseeing the rapid expansion of HIV clinical programs; preference for candidates with experience in the design of test and start as well as differentiated care models;
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively increasing responsibility working in HIV/AIDS in direct service delivery, systems strengthening and/or health financing;
- Demonstrated leadership skills in working collaboratively with other donors, host country institutions and international organizations;
- Documented experience in providing the level of technical assistance that is required to complete the work detailed in the statement of work; and
- Excellent organizational, analytical and oral and written communication skills.
Salary commensurate with experience.